– 2 large eggplants
– ½ lemon
– 1 cup of water
– ¼ cup of butter
– 1 tablespoon of flour
– 1 cup of milk
– ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
– Dash of nutmeg and salt
– Smoke whole eggplants in covered barbecue, or bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 25 minutes or until tender.
– Add the lemon half to water in a shallow dish.
– Place the eggplants in water. Turn to coat thoroughly, then allow to stand until cool.
– Peel the eggplants and deseed.
– Cut the flesh into quarter-inch cubes.
– In a skillet, melt the butter, add the flour, and cook and stir until light brown.
– Stir in the milk.
– Add the shredded cheese, eggplant, nutmeg and salt.
– Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes.